...on the first of November our dear and beautiful friend unexpectedly left us. I know there are many people who need to express how much they love Giles, and to let everyone know quite how much he loved us. To that end, I've taken the liberty of starting this site as point of contact for us all.
To read through the messages, click on the 'comments' button below. If you wish to leave one, you may need to 'choose an identity' towards the end of the 'leave a comment' section. Just select 'other' and add your name in the 'username' box, or there is an option to remain anonymous.
As for photo's, I've created a flickr photo hosting site here...
http://www.flickr.com/photos/gilesparmar/
...but if anybody wishes to upload any photo's, you'll need to sign in using this account:
gilesparmarphotos@yahoo.com
password: 'shanti'
...I hope this helps a little,
peace
rudi...xxx
29 comments:
Sita Ram
love you...
I went to school with giles - well the school next door but it might as well have been the same school!
Giles was a dear dear friend to me at school and for many years after. He always watched out for me when we went clubbing not to mention neing such a laugh and so funny.
I only saw him again 2 months ago after not having seen him for over ten years ... thanks to Tal and Sylvia. We all went to The anglers for a reunion drink and then Giles and Tal came back to mine after. It was sooo good to see giles and tal again, but now after what has happened, especially Giles. I am so grateful to have seen Giles again. When i saw him it was like seeing a long lost brother again. He was just the same! Fun, Kind, attentive and wonderful. I am so so sad that he is gone. It doesnt seem real. I know Giles has many many closer friends and family and my heart goes out to all of you. Giles's death is a total tradegy for all of us. Peace and love to Giles. Xanthe xx
One of the lights of the world has departed but has not been extinguished.
He has but passed through a door.
If I should go before the rest of you
Break not a flower
Nor inscribe a stone
Nor when I am gone
Speak in a Sunday voice
But be the usual selves
That I have known
Weep if you must
Parting is hell
But life goes on
So .... sing as well
I hadn't seen Giles for years, but will cherish the memories of 'The Mosh Years' and dark, smelly caves in Chislehurst. The Summer of '89, trips to Stone, curries and Sunday chill outs/come downs in his bedroom.
Mr Marrakesh will live on in our hearts and minds: "Eight, eight, eight, eight, eight! Fall over spick you're dead!"
Goodbye for now my friend...
Giles will be missed by all
God bless him wherever he has gone
Eeeeeeasy Giles, Will miss you, your crazy stories and wise words, even if i didnt always listen to them when you were here, i remember and always will.
Dont know what else to say apart from that i really cant believe you've gone.
Shanti shanti om, shanti, peace...x
Mr Binks,
We had some great adventures together
You always took the first step and held your hand out for me
You have touched many people with your energy and you have done much good in this world
You bought people together, you made life more fun for us all and I feel blessed to have been your friend and brother
You lived an inspired life and I cannot wait to see you again but until then I will miss you SO much
Om Shanti Om
Hello to you all from Korea and I'm sorry I'm wasn't able to be at the memorial. I think like everyone, I recieved the news of Giles' untimely passing with shock and disbelief. I still find it hard to find the words to describe my feelings at the loss of a dear friend of twenty years.
I met Giles as a teeneger, and he was a big feature of my adult life. A companion in the joyful times of youth, a person who encouraged me to travel and see the world - as I'm still doing now - and someone who was generous and suportive when times were hard.
I remember a friend who I, along with so many others, shared many happy times with when we were young - we played silly buggers down a cave, we shared the excitement and freedom of living carefree and partying. We made full use of our youth and experienced so much. Later, I met Giles abroad, in India, a place which was so dear to him. I remember bumping into him in Goa the first time I went to there, and how we later traveled and met up so many times.
That first time, a group of us went to Agra to see the Taj Mahal, and since it was cousin Thorbjorn's birthday Giles procured a cake - no mean feat in those days, and it took an afternoon of driving round Agra in a rickshaw. So, we were in a hotel room that night, and Giles was about to light the candles on this enourmous, elaborately iced cream cake, when suddenly there was a power-cut. The light went out for a few seconds and when it came on, there was Giles in front of the cake. As the light had gone out, his hand had accidentally squashed the cake, and I will never forget him looking round with a rueful smile as he licked the cream from his fingers as if to say "well I've done it now......still, better just see how it tastes". I think his exact words were "ah man, ah man!".
Thorbjorn also remembers this well, and he has also asked me to express his feelings of sadness, and how that later that night, he rememebers we passed out on the roof of the hotel, looking at and talking about the stars.
After this time, we were either meeting in India or London, or wherever in the world we were. I remember his genourousness and hospitality - when I needed to kip on his sofa, of his fabulous cooking which he treated his friends to, and his advice in times of doubt. He was also such a gregarious man, and so many friends, especially the Westside and friends from Bharat, I wouldn't have met if not for him.
I remember running around like mad things in the days of the caves, sitting in Kentish fields in the summertime, clubbing in Islington, sitting around in gardens and living rooms caning it with friends. I remember the good times at festivals, driving to the countryside, eating Nandos chicken, meals at Prems, and staying up all night.
I remember the many times in India, on Kudle where he was so happy, and in the beautiful mountains in Almora. Of visiting the Punjab with him, where I know he felt connected, and putting on 2 kg after only three days there - though somehow, despite eating the same as me, he never did. The times in Pushka, where we spent quite a time, laughing and enjoying Raju's food and avoiding red monkeys. I remember lying around in hammocks in Thailand and driving back from Folkstone in the fog. So many good memories.
Giles' life was lived to the full and although it has been cut short, he experienced more, and was loved by more than most. There are so many who are mourning his passing, and, I hope, remembering all the good times and how he made the world a better place for him having been here.
In the end, his final act was one of selfless bravery. I cannot imagine the courage it took for him to do that which he did, knowing full well the danger that was involved. But he couldn't stand by when another was calling for help, and he did what few of us could do. He will always be with us, and we will never forget him.
I'd like to say my fondest farewell to my friend, and a hero.
Hari Om
Z
I first met Giles on one of his summer trips to London a few years back and enjoyed his company in the short time that I knew him.
A lover of good food and laughter is how I shall remember him, with a grin to split a room in half! A mellow guy from whom I could have learned much more.
I had only begun to get used to seeing Giles on his yearly visits which were always a pleasure, yet to me he felt much like an old friend stopping by.
I never got the chance to know him as well as some of you here,
- but I won't forget him.
So long Giles...
I met Giles and Bav many years ago now. I thought they were salesman for "Zen and the art of.." books
We only spent a short time together but I can say our lives have never been the same
I have not mastered those meditations as yet Giles but it is part of my life now
And its thanks to our encounter with you guys that our lives are so blessed
My family have fond memories of our short time and although it's been all these years I feel as though we were together only yesterday. It is as though the world has lost someone very special. We all wish we could have spent more time with you and I cannot tell you how gutted we are mate
Kelly (my youngest) was only 6 years old when she met you. But she remembers you, your smile, your warm nature and those terrible “ali-gee” impressions.
I remember you for much more than that. The conversations, the fun, juggling loliopops and doing the waltz to Bob Dylan!!! The whole week was like heaven on earth. Truely
Australia morns you Giles
God Bless You
And our warmest wishes to your "partner in crime"(we're thinking of you) family and friens from Britin
Peace and Wishes from all in TAT Guesthouse x
Just thought you'd like to see the reply I got from Hawkwind. I emailed them to see if they would played a song for Giles:
"That is so sad, please pass on our condolences to his family and friends.
The band will play Sonic Attack for him at the Astoria, although we
cannot guarantee that they will make an dedication on stage as things can get quite hectic during a live show.
If you want to write a short notice/memorial for him, we will put it on our website.
Hope this helps
Best wishes
Kris"
(Kris is Dave Brock's wife.) Hawkwind are playing The Astoria on 19 December - it would be great to see as many as possible of you there.
Ian
Youre not here for this christams mate but i am sending you wishes and smiles and hugs. You will be in my thoughts on the big day. I hope you can read all the wonderful things people are saying about you and know how much we all love you wherever you are.
xx
R.I.P Binksy let's see what we make of it now eh?
Love is Love
Legend
Real Hero in more ways than the Last act of this great Man...
You blessed me and many people from just being yourself and you allways will!!!!!!
Love ya
L
giles...
i loved giles but when me and my sister where younger and he looked after us we called him george.
George was my god gather but was like an uncle to me and my sister.
when i found out i did not belive it and in a way i still dont i never want to belive it.
george never deserved to pass away but it was because he was such a nice man.
in december me my sister emily and my dad tim are going to go to india and live how uncle george lived his life. i cant wait because then i can lay flowers down and put a message in a bottle to him.
R.I.P George
always be in our memories..x
love you George...x
love you george
still going to india with jim to see everything because i know you would'nt of wanted me not to because of you.
although were going with dad now as weel. im sure you will be looking at us and creasing cos i know were in for alot of drama from sami and humer from dad.
you were the most insperatinal person in my life and i know you will always want me to follow my dreams.
i still dont beleive your gone and i know that in the summer i will see you walking down the road to our house.
i feel a trip to dhaba is in order soon and i will munch for the two of us:)
love you jaja/georgy porgy puddin and pie/ george of the jungle
xxxxx
Quark Strangness and Charm....
will never forget
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Its sad to see all those comments and i know this is my second comment but reading eeryones comments, still hasnt made me belive all of this.
Giles was the best man in the world as we all know and he was a loved man who shared alot of love to everyone. Now the long hard 'summmer' is over i want to see you because everyday me and Emily woke up thinking we would be seeing you walking down our drive so we could have a hugg with our George its so hard for every one and i want a George hug and so does everyone
ILoveYou Soo much
R.I.P
See You Soon I Hope
Sami Jackson.
Can't believe nearly a whole year as passed. Think of you daily my best friend George and miss you soo much. Its lovely to read the comments and see how many lives you really did touch, I always knew I wasn't the only luckly one to have you in our life. I can honestly say that we, like all your other friends have been truely blessed to have you in our lives, and you will remain as part of our family forever. I know you are at peace and that you are watching over us, but ask just one more thing of you, my friend is at home to die, and just ask that you look out for her when she comes through, she too will love you.
George we love you with all our hearts, hope I dream of you again soon.
Vicky xx
Words are very poore to describe the feelings.I know that life is unexpected but how to accept the stroke of death?too much pain...
I shared with Giles the 3 last years of his life in a wonderful relation ship!
The morning of this tragic fact I was in india embassy to get my visa as the day after I had my flight to Delhi where we had appointment with Giles to find each other,then I received the worse call in my life..
I am sure that his soul is in the angelic field in a beautiful garden same with this which he created in his house in Kudle
His energy remains always around me and in my heart
Hare Om my Beloved
Thinking od=f you giles at this time of year. thank you for being so fun and lovely at school. xx
'...but when ye come and all the flowers are dying,
If I am dead as dead I may well be,
Y’ll come and find the place where I am lying,
And kneel and say an Ave there for me,
And I shall hear though soft you tread above me,
And all my grave will warmer sweeter be,
For you will bend and tell me that you love me,
And I shall sleep in peace until you come to me.'
Some days it doesn’t seem any easier, you know, old friend. I miss your council, your warmth, the smile, those great long limbs that went on forever, your nobility, your honesty, the trust you inspired, the unconditional love. You turned into the Buddha before our eyes, and then you left, mission accomplished perhaps. Who knows? I'm just eternally grateful to have known you as deeply as I did; it will hurt sometimes, but I could never regret ever loving you so much.
Many thanks, my dear, tall skinny angel, for everything you ever did,
my unconditional love,
ave,
r.x
We will always love you.
Very sad to hear of your passing my friend. You had a heart of gold and always had a big smile. You paid the ultimate price in your selfless attempt to save other lives. May God shine his mercy and love upon your soul for eternity.
Very sad to hear about this my old school friend who I have fond memories of. I am in awe at the nobility of your passing. You were the best of us - truly. See you on the other side for a few games of tennis...!
I still miss him sooooo much!
It still feels empty without you Gilo my ssb.
Post a Comment